Running a company involves dealing with tons of documentation. It is imperative that these documents are properly organized and easy to access when needed. Thanks to technology, many processes may be automated or in the cloud.
Today there are different opensource document management solutions to help you organize, track, and access your documents for better workflow solutions.
The Top 6 Open Source Document Management Solutions
Once again, it was time to do some research. So we looked into the different companies that offer open source DMS for our needs. Here is a good overview of the top six. Hopefully, this review may find you one that can help with your individual orcompany's workflow.
Whether you work at a large brick-and-mortar company, or need help organizing your home office, Papermerge is a well-organized solution to your paperwork dilemma. This company's concept originally was conceived in 2017 when a tool was needed to organize scanned documents.
By 2019, the company haddeveloped enough capacity to begin experimenting with extracting information from and finding previously scanned PDF files. As the company continued to organically grow, it became open-sourced in January 2020. With more than 14,000 downloads from Docker hub to date, the company continues to acquire more fans.
- Multi user capabilities and permissions
- Task automation
- Supports most scanner's output formats
- Easily scans long receipts
- Reorder Pages within a document
- Can import email attachments
- Reorder pages with any document
Luckily, Papermerge gives tentative customers a chance to try their services out for free for up to 21 days. The free plan allows one user to organize up to 400 documents. Once your free trial runs out, you can now choose between the Personal or the Business plan.
The Personal plan costs 19 Euros per month and allows up to 2500 documents to be managed by one user. This appears to be a good option for freelancers and people who want to organize a home office. A small or medium-sized business can pay 49 euros a month to manage up to 20,000 documents from up to 10 users. This plan also comes with user management and assigned role capabilities.
Both personal and business plans are billed monthly. Papermerge allows customers to host this open source management on their own server. The company supplies Pro support plans for self-hosting for an annual subscription of 799 euros.
Tons of documents and receipts can easily stack up and create an eye sore on your desk. If you are a freelancer working from home or have a small team, you may consider PDF organization from Papermerge. Utilize their free 21-day trial to try the service out and see if it's right for you.
Teedy is an open-source document management solution for a variety of client types. Individuals or large companies can use their services and special features to easily manage and store documents. Employees can upload all their expense reports or individuals can back up important emails with ease.
Due to advanced workflow capabilities, Teedy can help manage the excessive documentation that is characteristic of professions such as education, Healthcare, nonprofits, distribution and more. This tool comes with a ton of special features which we will cover in the next section.
- Clear user interface
- Easy and automatic import options
- Create an app based on the API
- Full-text search engine
- Compatible with several document types, such as DOCX, PDF, TXT and more
- User and group permissions
- Make comments on documents
- Track document modifications
- Share documents with non-Teedy account holders
- Encryption for security
- Use metadata to classify and categorize documents
Teedy lets users try the service out on a 30-day free trial which comes with no obligation. Your 30-day free trial comes with all regular features but you are limited to using up to 1000 documents. Just use your email to sign up. Any documents that you upload and customize during the free trial will be transferred over to your paid account.
The Starter program is useful for individuals and small startups at a cost of 19 Euros per user per month. Unlimited users can manage up to 10,000 documents and have all the main features.
For 39 Euros per user per month, established companies may want to consider the Pro plan that allows unlimited document management and as much as 100 GB of storage.
A large company can contact Teedy about pricing for the Enterprise plan that will provide custom solutions for their needs.
Large companies and individuals can find the right document management solution by using Teedy. This is a powerful open-source document management tool that has something for business needs of all sizes. Give it a try today without any risk or obligation.
Industries that have to do a lot of research or academic work may find I,librarian, the perfect resource to help them manage PDF documents. This tool can store, manage, and organize your PDF Library in one centralized online location that several users can access.
You don't need to install software or apps in order to use this open-source tool, simply login by your web browser.
- No installation needed
- Accessible by web browser
- Batch importation available
- Import patents and books
- Download PDF metadata
- Search for 100,000 records in seconds
- Annotate PDFs
- Project collaboration capability
- Non-PDF files can be converted to PDF
I, Librarian has several pricing plans available, including a free one. Casual users should consider the Lite plan for $2 a month. You can store an unlimited number of PDFs using this plan as well as utilize OCR (text character translation) in over 90 languages. For $3 per month, companies can subscribe to the Pro Plan which includes audio note recording and user groups for project management.
However, if you are a larger group that needs a managed server, you will pay from $75 a month to $150 a month. Your monthly fee depends on how much space you need (i.e, 60 GB to 120 GB).
Certain research facilities may want to incorporate the I, Librarian On-premises plan. This robust option creates an unlimited number of libraries, has IT Department support, and the potential for a perpetual license. Interested parties should contact the company for a quote.
Who said that libraries would be a thing of the past? The rise of the internet has put some of our libraries in danger. Luckily, companies such as I,Librarian have upgraded library research services for the modern user. If you are a researcher or part of an academic team, you may want to try I,librarian today.
OpenDocMan is a web-based DMS written in PHP. Since it was developed under the open-source gpn license, customers are able to modify it any way they like. This DMS supports multiple file types and has easy automated installation and upgrades.
Individuals and Fortune 500 companies are now using it as a resource. OpenDocManisstill being actively developed, so look out for new features regularly.
- Support multiple languages including Chinese, German, and Spanish
- User and departmental access control
- Enhanced workflow
- Supports all file types
- Shows revision history
- Easy installation
- Automatic updates
- Various search options such as by author, metadata, or comments
Users can download the Community plan for free and self install it. This plan also requires self-support.
The SecureDocMan Cloud plan costs $79 monthly for 500 GB of storage and unlimited users. You can try this one for free for 30 days. It comes with instant access.
The SecureDocMan On-Prem, which provides on-premises installation, and OpenDocMan Enterprise, a more enhanced version of the PHP DMS,require potential customers to call for a quote.
Whether you want on premises installation or Cloud hosting, OpenDocMan can help you with online document hosting and alteration needs. If you are not sure this is right for you, remember you can test it out for 30 days.
This document management system has a web-based user interface that is based on PHP and MySQL. It is ideal for small and medium-sized Enterprise businesses. Users can test the system out by viewing the demo installation. You have two different demo versions to choose from.
- Download a demo before installing
- Web-based user interface
- Text search
- Supports multiple languages
- Integrates with several extensions
- Workflow engine
- Notification capability
- User and group management
- Keeps different history of documents
Regarding extensions, there are several options available. You can download extensions to help import documents, count document downloads, and show various presentations of documents. There are even extensions to archive and preview emails.
SeedDMS is a totally free open-source document management system. However, users can support further development by making a donation online at the main website. Such donations will go straight to the main developer, Uwe Steinmann.
You can contact the company for more support if you intend to integrate SeedDMS into your company's workflow. This would be a good time to make a donation to support new features and further enhancements.
Small and medium-sized companies that want to support a growing DMS system which utilizes PHP should consider installing and utilizing SeedDMS. While this DMS has been in development for 10 years, it is still growing and the right users and developers can be a part of it.
EveryDocs is a simple DMS for private use. It has basic functions that users can utilize through a web-based interface. It is a simple tool to organize your digital documents. Users need Ruby to install this DMS.
- Use folders and subfolders for organization
- Create new accounts
- Upload PDF with descriptive metadata
- Web user interface
- REST- API for operation and processing
- Can add people to documents
At the moment, EveryDocs is free and accessible through Github. As stated earlier, you can simply download it yourself as long as you have Ruby installed.
If you are looking for a very simple document management system that is still growing through development, try downloading EveryDocs.
Final Thoughts on Open Source Document Management
Now that we have reviewed six of the top open source document management platforms, we have a better idea of what services they can provide. Some come with several bells and whistles while some are just very streamlined and perform one main service.
If you want to support current single developers on GitHub, you can utilize EveryDocs or SeedDMS. Bear in mind that SeedDMS can be utilized by small and mid-sized companies, while EveryDocs appears to be best for an individual - not a company. Either way, this is a good way to be a part of a growing DMS and possibly contribute to it.
Individuals can keep things very simple by downloading and fooling around with EveryDocs, but would have more resources and streamlined capabilities by using Papermerge.
Papermerge is great for both individuals and companies. Freelancers often have to deal with heavy documentation both online or with physical paperwork. A stay-at-home mom may need to keep track of several receipts and emails. A larger company may have several employee invoices and HR records to keep track of. Papermerge can help with either one of these business situations.
Do you have a large international company or a small one that communicates frequently with other countries? If so, OpenDocMan may be an ideal solution since it supports multiple languages ranging from Chinese to German to Portuguese to Spanish. If you don't have the budget for an in-house translator, the language support from this DMS may be a good solution.
I, Librarian sounds like something I wish I had when I was in graduate school. Higher education usually involves a great deal of PDF printouts or online scrolling. Handling heavy 100-page documents for each class every week could often be cumbersome. Using resources on I,Librarian can give necessary users access to needed documentation without having to download or print. The annotation and batch importation options are especially useful for both teachers and students alike when it comes to making important notes.
What is document management system open-source? ›
OpenDocMan is a free, web-based, open source document management system (DMS) written in PHP designed to comply with ISO 17025 and OIE standard for document management. It features web based access, fine grained control of access to files, and automated install and upgrades.Which is a free web based document creation and storage service? ›
1. OpenDocMan. OpenDocMan is known for being one of the best open-source document management systems around. Not only is it free but it's also web-based so it can be accessed from anywhere rather than just your work computer.What are open-source documents? ›
Open source is source code that is made freely available for possible modification and redistribution. Products include permission to use the source code, design documents, or content of the product. The open-source model is a decentralized software development model that encourages open collaboration.What is the best document control software? ›
- Rubex by eFileCabinet: Best Low-Cost Document Management System. Rubex by eFileCabinet. ...
- Microsoft SharePoint: Best Overall Document Management System. Microsoft SharePoint. ...
- M-Files: Best for Ease of Use. M-Files. ...
- VIENNA Advantage Community: Best Free Document Management System. VIENNA Advantage Community.
Google Drive is a cloud-based program that allows you to create, edit, store, and share documents. Many businesses use it as a file management system; documents sit in the Cloud as well as synchronising with users' local versions of the system.What is Document Management System PDF? ›
Document management system is a software used to capture, store, manage, and easily retrieve digital documents within an organization. It provides the needed functionalities for businesses to digitize documents and automate their business processes.What is meant by document management system? ›
Document management, often referred to as Document Management Systems (DMS), is the use of a computer system and software to store, manage and track electronic documents and electronic images of paper-based information captured through the use of a document scanner.How do I install OpenDocMan on Windows 10? ›
- Log in to cPanel. ...
- Open Softaculous: ...
- In the Search text box, type opendocman and then press Enter. ...
- Click Install. ...
- In the Choose Domain list box, select the domain for installation, or accept the default value.
- Mozilla Firefox.
- VLC media player.
- Apache web server.
- Shotcut. ...
- LibreOffice. ...
- Mozilla Thunderbird. ...
- Mozilla Firefox. ...
- VLC Media Player. ...
- GIMP. ...
- Linux. ...
- WordPress. WordPress is probably the most popular blogging platform in the world, used by more than 60 million people and organizations.
Why is open source important? ›
Today open source has changed the face of technology – it allows customers to know how the code works, facilitating the development of the most innovative software. It allows reuse and recycling of code, making it easier to collaborate and achieve goals, rather than trying to do everything yourself.Does Microsoft have a document management system? ›
Does Microsoft have a Document Management System? Yes, it does. Microsoft Office 365 provides various software solutions including SharePoint, Microsoft Dynamics and OneDrive for document management.What is an example of document management system? ›
PDF Readers are the best example of a Document Management System through which you can access the PDF file offline and store it to view and even print and publish it anytime at any place.Which software is used for digital documentation? ›
Answer. Explanation: Enterprise Content Management Systems manage and control digital documents created using Microsoft Office Suite and accounting software like CAD etc.What are the 3 types of filing systems? ›
Filing in Alphabetical order. Filing by Numbers/Numerical order. Filing by Places/Geographical order.Is Dropbox a document management system? ›
Dropbox is an online software solution that manages electronic documents for both individuals and teams. It can serve as your document repository, but it can also simplify how you organize, find, and work with digital files.Is SharePoint a document management system? ›
SharePoint is a great document management tool, but it requires a lot of work to maintain, especially for large and growing companies. You can use it effectively for a while by setting up an intuitive site structure and maintaining clear, logical content governance guidelines, but that will only take you so far.What are three benefits of document management systems? ›
- Reduces Costs.
- Improves Workflow.
- Better Collaboration.
- Advanced Search.
- Reduces Storage Space.
- Easier Retrieval.
- Enhanced Security.
- Disaster Recovery.
Purpose of a Quality Document Management System
Increase speed of work. Reduce errors. Eliminate lost and misfiled documents. Save time, space, and money.
Document control refers to the processes a business develops to oversee the creation, review, modification, issuance, distribution and accessibility of their documents. These controls define the way the entire lifecycle of each document is managed from creation through to approval and obsolescence.
What are the types of document management systems? ›
- Content Management. Often referred to as web content management, this type of document management system focuses on creating, modifying, organising, and delivering content to users. ...
- Workflow Management. ...
- Record Management. ...
- Document Imaging. ...
- Enterprise Content Management.
- Step 1: Identify documents and workflows. ...
- Step 2: Establish ownership and quality standards. ...
- Step 3: Name and classify documents. ...
- Step 4: Create revision protocols. ...
- Step 5: Manage security and access. ...
- Step 6: Classify and archive documents to ensure version control.
Summary. An electronic document management system (EDMS) is a software program that manages the creation, storage and control of documents electronically. The primary function of an EDMS is to manage electronic information within an organization's workflow.Who is responsible for document management? ›
A Document Controller is responsible for all documents in a business. Daily they will scan and upload paper documents and organize them on a secure server. They access specific files when requested by different departments as well as control the flow of documents in and out of the department.How do you create a document management system? ›
- Determine Who Will Take Charge. ...
- Assess the Current Filing System and Determine Strategy Requirements. ...
- Identify Each Document. ...
- Establish Procedures and Requirements, Then Document. ...
- Preparing the Strategy. ...
- Purge Unnecessary Documents.
- Organization Is the Key to Electronic File Management.
- Use the Default Installation Folders for Program Files.
- One Place for All Documents.
- Create Folders in a Logical Hierarchy.
- Nest Folders Within Folders.
- Follow the File Naming Conventions.
- Be Specific.
- Double-click the network drive to enter it, then go into the PCTI\Docman7\Programs\Client Install directory. ...
- This starts the install process. ...
- The client install window appears shortly afterwards. ...
- The next screen prompts for your name and organisation. ...
- The install process now begins.
Who Owns It? Typically, for open-source projects, the creator owns the software but provides a license to other “contributors” to reproduce, modify and redistribute the software. The licenses offered to contributors and users of the software are often standardized (see MIT, GNU LPGL, and Apache as examples).Who uses open source software? ›
Open source technology and open source thinking both benefit programmers and non-programmers. Because early inventors built much of the Internet itself on open source technologies—like the Linux operating system and the Apache Web server application—anyone using the Internet today benefits from open source software.Is Google Chrome an open source? ›
Most of Chrome's source code comes from Google's free and open-source software project Chromium, but Chrome is licensed as proprietary freeware.
Which software is the best? ›
- Autodesk SketchBook – Best Graphics & Drawing Software.
- Spotify – Best Entertainment and Media Software.
- PhotoDirector 10 Essential – Best Photo Editor Software.
- Dropbox – Best Storage Software.
- Revo Uninstaller – Best Utilities Software.
- IoT(Internet of Things): The internet of things is a term used to describe the connectivity of devices, appliances, and other objects to the internet. ...
- Python: ...
- Big Data: ...
- Cloud computing: ...
- Machine learning: ...
- Progressive Web Apps: ...
- Cybersecurity: ...
- Mixed Reality:
For software developers, open source means there is an opportunity to collaborate with other engineers in ways companies could never make happen on their own. Some even go on to monetize through open source by changing the code and creating a product of their own, Iceman said.Is open source becoming more popular? ›
These days, open source is everywhere. More than three-quarters of organizations increased their use of open-source software during the past year as the popularity of DevOps tooling, data technologies and AI/ML tooling grows.How popular is open source software? ›
The study surveyed 2,660 IT professionals around the world, the majority of whom reported that overall open source usage is growing within their organizations. The report found that 77% of organizations increased their use of open source software over the course of 2021.Is a free web-based document creation and storage where you can create and share your work with others online? ›
Google Drive is a free service from Google that allows you to store files online and access them anywhere using the cloud. Google Drive also gives you access to free web-based applications for creating documents, spreadsheets, presentations, and more.What is the best way to store documents online? ›
Dropbox is one of the most commonly used document storage platforms, and for good reason. You get up to 2GB of storage space for free, which is more than enough for most users who want to store their personal documents. You can even access Dropbox from a variety of devices including your laptop, tablet or mobile phone.Where is the best place to store files online? ›
- Sync.com. Sync.com is our number one online backup and file sharing service. ...
- Egnyte Connect. ...
- Google Drive. ...
- Microsoft OneDrive. ...
- Microsoft OneDrive. The best cloud document storage platform. Today's Best Deals. ...
- Google One. The best affordable cloud document storage. Today's Best Deals. ...
- Dropbox. Simplified cloud document storage. Today's Best Deals. ...
- Egnyte. The flexible cloud document storage platform. ...
- Adobe Document Cloud. For using PDF document archives.
- CBackup (10GB Free Cloud Storage)
- Degoo (100GB Free Cloud Storage)
- Mega (50GB Free Cloud Storage)
- Blomp (20GB Free Cloud Storage)
- Google Drive (15GB Free Cloud Storage)
- pCloud (10GB Free Cloud Storage)
- IceDrive (10GB Free Cloud Storage)
- OneDrive (5GB Free Cloud Storage)
How can I get 100GB for free? ›
- Blomp. Blomp offers free cloud storage for your images, videos, and multiple files up to the capacity of 200GB.
- Degoo. Degoo is another good option which offers a space upto 100GB. ...
- Mega. ...
- Media Fire. ...
- Yandex Disk. ...
- Google Drive. ...
- Icedrive. ...
Which Cloud Storage Services Give Unlimited Storage? As you'll see in the list, Sync.com, Dropbox, Box and OpenDrive all offer unlimited cloud storage plans. Several backup providers also have this option, including Backblaze and Carbonite.What is the best way to store documents? ›
The most secure method of storing your important documents at home is in a home safe or lock box that is fireproof and flood-resistant.What are the 4 types of cloud storage? ›
There are four main types of cloud computing: private clouds, public clouds, hybrid clouds, and multiclouds. There are also three main types of cloud computing services: Infrastructure-as-a-Service (IaaS), Platforms-as-a-Service (PaaS), and Software-as-a-Service (SaaS).Which is most reliable source of storage? ›
Explanation: Tape drives are most reliable source of storing information.Which cloud storage is safest? ›
- Microsoft OneDrive.
- Google Drive.
- Egnyte Connect.
- Cloud storage or web data transfers. ...
- SSD and HDD drives via SATA cables. ...
- Basic cable transfer. ...
- Use software to speed up your data transfer. ...
- Transfer your data over WiFi or LAN. ...
- Using an external storage device or flash drives.
Difference between Dropbox and Google Drive.
|It is owned by Dropbox Incorporation.||It is owned by Google LLC.|
To sort files, open the folder containing all the files you'd like to organize, right-click within the folder, select Sort by, and then select how you want to sort the files: by name, date, type, size, or tags. Then it's easier to organize computer files from a certain time range.Which cloud is best for storage? ›
- Microsoft OneDrive. Best for Windows Users. ...
- IDrive. Best for Low-Cost Backup and Syncing. ...
- Google Drive. Best for Google Workspace Users. ...
- Dropbox. Best for Integration With Third-Party Services. ...
- SpiderOak One Backup. Best for Secure Backups. ...
- Box (Personal) Best for Business Integrations. ...
- Apple iCloud Drive.
What important documents should I keep? ›
- Birth certificates.
- Social Security cards.
- Marriage certificates.
- Adoption papers.
- Death certificates.
- Wills and living wills.
- Powers of attorney.